Saturday 12 August 2017

Dad’s ethnicity – according to MyHeritage DNA


Dad is Irish, born and bred.  His ancestors were Irish too, at least as far back as I’ve managed to trace. Granted, I’ve not gone back far – barely into the eighteenth century on most lines, if even. But, his known surnames are mainly of Irish origin – Byrne, O’Neill, Mahon, Donovan, Leahy, McDonnell, Lynch, Clinch, Cavanagh, Flood, Coyle, Corcoran – okay, Clinch was definitely English, though well-known in Leinster since the early fourteenth century.

FamilyTree DNA, the company who tested Dad’s DNA, wholeheartedly concurred - 100% British Isles they said - no surprises there. They have not tried to break it down between Ireland and Britain, yet. 


But, according to MyHeritage DNA, where I’ve uploaded Dad’s test results, we’re a mixed bag from all over Europe – only 69% ‘Irish, Scottish, and Welsh’, 12% Scandinavian, 9% Italian, and 9% East European, with no ‘English’. Okay, I don’t know the maiden name of one of Dad’s maternal great-grandmothers yet, but 31% DNA is equivalent to at least two great-grandparents. I’m not saying there were no foreigners in Ireland then, Mam’s grandaunt Isabella married the son of a French tailor, in Dublin, in 1892, but Ireland was no melting pot. Not at that time. And, with 31% ‘exotic’, I just don’t believe it! 

  
So beware! If your ancestors left Europe in the last few centuries, and you genuinely have no clue where to start the search, these Ethnicity Estimates could lead you astray.

Still, for me, it was worth uploading our DNA results to MyHeritage. Dad has only 83 cousin matches there, and one of them happens to be my fourth cousin. I’ve proven it with conventional genealogy. More on that soon...

MyHeritage's DNA offering is relatively new, and to help grow their database, they are currently accepting DNA results from other companies, FOR FREE. If you’ve already tested your autosomal DNA elsewhere, you might want to consider it. 

And, if you're in the market for a DNA test, many of the testing companies have a sale on at the moment. For example, FTDNA are offering their Family Finder test for US$69. 
  
…………………
© Black Raven Genealogy

7 comments:

  1. That is interesting. On my DNA it comes across as 47% Western Europe. this would be my mothers side of GErmany. Then 26% Great Britain and 22% Irish, I have not come across any British in my ancestors.

    Ancestry does have me in a a DNA group of Connacht Irish, which is exactly where my research has taken. I would like to know who those British were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I was surprised at the analysis of my DNA on FTDNA, so I should see what Heritage says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, these ethnicity calculations are way off target. My mother's results were not unlike Dad's, except for the countries reported in mainland Europe. My results show a surprising 40% English, even though there was 0% English in both my parent's results. Treat these estimates with a sack of salt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have included your blog in INTERESTING BLOGS in FRIDAY FOSSICKING at

    https://thatmomentintime-crissouli.blogspot.com/2017/08/friday-fossicking-18th-august-2017.html

    Thank you, Chris

    It seems the more we learn, the less we know.. an interesting journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Chris, I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely agree Dara. I did a similar blog, those ethnicity estimates can be way off.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!